The mission of the MINISTRY OF ECONOMY is to assist the President of the Argentine Republic and the Chief of Staff, to the extent of its competence, in all matters related to economic, budgetary and fiscal policy; in the administration of public finance; in the economic, financial, and fiscal relations with the Provinces and the City of Buenos Aires; and particularly in:
1. Executing plans, programs, and projects within its scope, designed according to the regulations provided for by the NATIONAL EXECUTIVE BRANCH.
2. Taking part in the execution and control of the General Expenses Budget and Calculation of the National Government Resources, as well as in expenditure levels and public income.
3. Taking part in the revenue and distribution of national income, according to the approved Budget allocation by the HONORABLE CONGRESS OF THE ARGENTINE REPUBLIC and in its execution according to the guidelines established by the Chief of Staff under the supervision of the NATIONAL EXECUTIVE BRANCH.
4. Taking part in issues related to public accounting and in the auditing of the expenses and investments ordered on the General Treasury of the Argentine Republic.
5. Taking part in the elaboration, application, and control of tax and tariffs systems.
6. Taking part in issues related to the administration and liquidation of residuary assets, rights and liabilities of businesses or entities that had been privatized, dissolved or that had stopped its operations for any reason.
7. Taking part in all matters related to the budgetary normalization of the National Public Sector.
8. Taking part in the minting and printing of bills, stamps, seals, fiscal papers, other securities, and other official instruments of similar characteristics.
9. Taking part in legislation regarding National Administration debt balances.
10. Taking part in the macroeconomic programming for the short, medium, and long term and in the allocation of resources according to the national policy from a regional perspective.
11. Participating in negotiations and amendments of the public works and utilities agreements under its scope.
12. Assessing the results of the national economic policy and the country’s economic development.
13. Participating in labor and tax policies related to production units under its scope.
14. Participating in the creation and administration of price-indicators regimes.
15. Taking part in monetary and exchange policies in accordance with the powers vested in the Central Bank of the Argentine Republic.
16. Taking part in the preparation and follow-up of the financial needs of the General Treasury of the Argentine Republic.
17. Taking part in issues regarding public debt and credit.
18. Supervising and coordinating national official financial institutions activities.
19. Taking part in the administration of majority and minority holdings of the Government in companies or enterprises under its scope.
20. Taking part in the development of governmental enterprises and companies, autonomous entities, decentralized bodies, and special accounts and funds, whatever their nature may be, under its scope; regarding both action and budget plans and the intervention, foreclosure, winding up, privatization, merger, dissolution, or centralization of said entities, and deciding upon those entities outside the Ministry’s sphere of competence pursuant to the guidelines provided for by the Chief of Staff under the supervision of the National Executive Branch.
21. Participating, in coordination with the relevant areas of the Office of the Chief Of Staff, in the design of a public investment plan and in the analysis of the financial structure within the scope of its competence.
22. Issuing an opinion on the existence of a budget forecast – prior to its allocation – to meet the commitments assumed under public-private partnership agreements that involve resources from the public budget for future years provided for in Argentine Law No. 24156, Section 15, as amended.
23. Taking part in the capital markets regime.
24. Taking part in insurance and reinsurance schemes.
25. Taking part in the authorization of internal and external credit operations of the National Public Sector, including decentralized bodies and public sector companies, public loans granted by the National Government, and other secured and unsecured debts, as well as taking part in the financial operations of the same sort to be executed to meet the needs of the Provinces, Municipalities and of the City of Buenos Aires, when it comes to preserving the National public credit.
26. Taking part, within the scope of its competence, in international negotiations of an economic, monetary and financial nature and in the requirement of financing and other relations with international monetary organizations, as well as in the requirement of financing and other relations with multilateral and bilateral organizations.
27. Intervening in the relations with international economic organizations and participating in international economic, financial and cooperation fora.
Functions established by Argentine Executive Order No. 7/2019 (only available in Spanish).
Functions established by Argentine Executive Order No. 7/2019 (only available in Spanish)